Friday, January 20, 2006

although the title of this blog is perhaps a bit less true in Bogota than other places...

I moved into Liz’s apartment, which she shares with a Colombia law student, Thursday after three nights at Susana’s. Susana was wonderfully helpful and kind, but I needed to get into something more permanent before classes started. I had no idea how much paperwork and organizational stuff I would have to do this week, so my assumptions about how long it would take to find an apartment were all off. There is a loft opening up this week in La Candelaria, which is the colonial part of town located right next to my university, so I may end up moving one more time, but for now I’m fine here. Their apartment is incredibly charming and comfortable – see photos below! I’m lucky to have the option of staying here – it’s also super cheap and fairly centrally located.

So far I’ve taken only busetas (small, smelly buses) and cabs here. I haven’t even been able to use TransMilenio, although every time I see it go by it’s completely packed. Last night I read an article in La Semana about the problems the federal government has had translated TransMilenio’s popularity and relative success to other cities in Colombia. The transportation scene is certainly not as rosy as I’d been led to believe, but there is some merit to the BRT model for the developing world, as anyone who’s been stuck behind of the busetas with no catalytic converter can attest.

The layout of the older parts of the city are what make the transportation work so well – you can walk to almost everything you need in your own neighborhood, and it’s ridiculously east to catch a bus to places out of walking distance. Busetas cost 1000 pesos, which is about 27 cents. And for places that require transfers, especially if you are traveling with another person, it often makes more sense to hail a taxi. This also is inexpensive and incredibly convenient – most days I just step out of the door and there one is. A taxi to the Fulbright commission costs about 4000 pesos, maybe $1.50.

No comments: