Saturday, January 21, 2006

happy day

I’m so happy today...if you know why, why then, you know it’s true.

Recent events: last night I met some of Liz’s friends, peace workers and journalists, all very inspiring. We ate spaghetti and meatballs, drank cheap wine, and laughed about nothing. Amy, one of the women in their shared apartment, had given up everything (in the American sense) to be here. I identified with her – said she was just plain bored, couldn’t find an interesting job in her field, had been gardening and helping film a documentary that was never finished for the past few years. She quit her jobs, cashed in her savings, and with the help of community and parents signed up as a volunteer in Colombia.

She and her roommate, an arresting personality from Britain, work with an NGO resettling people displaced by the conflict. As Amy described their experience – a small group of extremely dedicated volunteers whose contacts and meetings access the very top levels of government here – I thought about small group theory. She had ascribed the influence they have been able to exert to their being foreign nationals in Colombia, but back in the world of Atlanta transit (geek hour, sorry), we had a similar experience.

Although the scale and relative seriousness of the issues are obviously different I think the influence varies more with the quality of information the group has to offer and the dedication it demonstrates, more so than the absolute number of members or financial resources it can access. At least, that’s what I hope.

Today I am burned, sun-tired, and content. We got up this morning, Liz made breakfast (platanos maduros con huevos, for the gourmands, with mochas) while I cleaned up a bit. I love our kitchen – it’s bright and sunny, with nooks and crannies and the sweetest table. Perfect for morning coffee klatches.

We headed for Parque Simon Bolivar around 11 am. We got completely lost, but I got to see the campus of La Nacional, the public university here. The students, professors and staff are striking now to protest proposed changes. I don’t know enough to describe them yet, but it’s the longest strike they’ve had in some years. The quality of the students and education there is supposed to be among, if not the, best in Colombia. I’m thinking if Los Andes is too elitist for me (and I think it may well be), I may take classes at La Nacional when (if) they begin in March.

Anyway, back to today – the park is soulfully beautiful. Lush green, lake with paddleboats and kayaks, the greatest playground ever (after Piedmont Park of course), sport fields, fruit vendors, shade and paths, everything you need to have a gorgeous afternoon with great people. Many of the Fulbright students were there – I haven’t met a single one I don’t think is great yet. Sarah, who plays on Los Andes’ rugby team, invited me to give it a try – Julia will be so proud! We talked about our projects, life in Colombia, and pirated DVDs...

Later Liz and I went to San Andresito, an area known for its market. We were expecting something more open-air but it ended up being almost exactly like the Buford Highway flea markets, only even more crowded and lively. I bought a bundle of cherries and a fruit called mangosina – delicious. San Andres appears to sell mostly sneakers – I could get into some serious trouble there.

1 comment:

denali said...

so happy to be reading your blog! your kitchen sounds lovely~ i miss you already;)