Monday, April 10, 2006

“Today we march, tomorrow we vote!”


I'm so proud of Atlanta! A two-mile long stretch of 50,000 people marched for what the Guardian called the "21st century civil rights movement" in the streets of Atlanta, hometown of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. My mom was there - if it's a march for anything that matters, she generally is.

Apparently in Tuscon, Arizona Sunday a group calling itself the Border Guardians burned a Mexican flag outside the Mexican embassy. I'm trying to picture the equivalent - what if a group of pissed off Mexicans were to burn a flag in front of the American embassy in Mexico City? I imagine there would be some international hand-wagging over that! I hate to generalize, but I'm also guessing this border gang might be made up of the kinds of guys who don't take too kindly to anyone burning the American flag. Just a guess.

This could end up being the series of events that creates an immigrant consciousness in the states. Josh, watching coverage in the laundromat tonight, saw a guy interviewed who said, I'm illegal, and I'll probably lose my job tomorrow, but I'm here because I'm an American too.

No comments: