Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Lying Around

My roommate is taking a modern dance class. It's so nice to be right...my suspicions about modern dance are being proven correct; it is mostly lying around on the floor. Every day she has class, she comes home and lies around on the floor for a while so I can learn, too.

I love Rob Brezsny's horoscopes...read yours here.

Mine for the month: TAURUS (April 20-May 20): "In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts," wrote American essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson. "They come back to us with a certain alienated majesty." The first part of your assignment, Taurus, is to identify other people's brilliant creations that remind you of good ideas of your own that you've failed to develop. The second part of your assignment is to do something--anything!--to correct for your neglect. Get started on your own masterpiece.

Today I made a phone call. Usually difficult for me but not quite rising to the level of accomplishment, but today I called the foremost expert in participatory planning in Colombia. We'd met briefly at a conference on Bogota and human rights several months ago, and I was reassured that he remembered who I was, "ah, the Fulbright."

Also today I saw a job opening at the Carter Center...working under one of the people who helped with my Fulbright application, the director of the Americas Project and a political science professor at Georgia State! The position lasts for 12 months, which would allow me to readjust to life in the states while keeping one eye on Colombia. My degree is not exactly what they're looking for, and I'm not sure I have the necessary experience, but I'm going to apply anyway.

No comments: