Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A strange bird

On campus today at the national university, a pair of hummingbirds nearly flew right into my forehead. I was on my way home after an afternoon wandering around looking at posters for upcoming events, trying to figure out my classes, and getting literature at the student fair. At the fair, I stopped to listen to a group of impassioned students explaining why the proposed and soon to be implemented academic reforms are baaaaaad. From their explanation and what I've heard before, and if one accepts the premise that the education currently being dispensed at UN is quite good, even exceptional, I'd have to agree. But when I intitiated a conversation with one of the organizers, I got a very quizzical look and very little in the way of information. This is nothing new -- for some reason I'd been getting that look all day. It was "who the hell are you?" and "what are you doing here?" rolled into one. Must be a new semester at the non-blond university.

No comments: