Sunday, July 30, 2006

places worth applauding

I've only ever been two places where people are so happy to be home that they clap: Puerto Rico and Colombia. Lots of clapping for Colombia: three rounds of spontaneous applause on this flight, in fact. I couldn't help but grin and clap along, even if the first few days back are sad and altitude sick for me.

The boy is not here, my family is not here, and the buses are silly with people -- my only gripes with Colombia that are particular to me. Pretty big ones but for five months or so perfectly withstandable. And today Eli gets home and has lots to talk about, and at this very moment Trish is showering in my semi-luxurious-for-Colombia bathroom (it has kind of hot water and it's all mine) and has lots to talk about, and I love my girlfriends and missed our talks terribly, so it all evens out I suppose.

Five minutes ago a long line of taxis decorated with balloons followed a taxi carrying an image of the Virgin down the street. Will post photos later, just in case you couldn't live without seeing that! In some ways, it is good to be back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another place worthy of maddening (even deafening) applause...Cascade Nature Preserve. Loved by all dogs and urban adventures alike :o) Known and loved by a few, respected and spiritual to an even smaller number....

RC said...

I'm so glad to be among that number with you.