Thursday, February 16, 2006

funny sayings...

I’m going to start collecting the unintentionally biting things people say to the perpetually sunburnt American girl…

· At a bakery: “This one doesn’t understand Spanish…” spoken casually, without bothering to whisper, I mean why would she? I don’t understand Spanish! Not bread Spanish, at any rate. I swear every single panaderia has a different word for the yummy round cheese bread. My reply: “well, I understood that…”

· “At least you show enthusiasm!” – this was my architecture professor. So there’s another pretension tossed to the roadside – that I am not bad at drawing. As it turns out, I am. He’s such a nice guy though, the prof, and I know he didn’t mean anything by it…I’ll just have to try harder to make those square thingies look more like buildings.

· “How old are you, anyway?” This one I’ve heard about 27 times a week since I got here. I’m trying to take it that I look younger than I am, but sometimes it gets hard (especially since that night in Decatur when everyone, everyone, agreed that Meg, though she is actually older, looks younger than I do. Thanks guys.) I usually get this after mentioning an ex-husband here, six years “working” for the government there, and that house with the dogs just puts a knife in it and says I’m done.

1 comment:

RC said...

wow, that's a much nicer interpretation -- thanks!