Wednesday, November 15, 2006

begendings

Why is it that once you decide to leave a place, things get a gagillion times better? Test it yourself, it's a proven fact. As soon as I had my ticket to ride on out of Atlanta, my life took a turn for the amazing. And while I wouldn't say exactly the same here, the circumstances being quite different, I have to say, life is good.

Today I had a paper proposal accepted to the XXVII Annual ILASSA Student Conference (now doesn't THAT look impressive, with those roman numerals and all...) in Austin in February. On a topic I don't recall. I submitted the 300 word proposal in a fashion you could conceivably call last minute (I realized ten minutes before the deadline that day was the day, and turned it in a minute before midnight). So I'm not quite as impressed with the quality of conference participants, shall we say, after getting my acceptance today. The fact that it was addressed to Emily Rebecca Serna (a lovely name, actually), didn't do much to increase my confidence levels. Speaking of which, back to that lost proposal. It did have quite an evocative title, which is I think what got it accepted: Participatory Budgeting in Bogota: Playing the Pinata. But I have no idea what it contains. Do you?

But back to Bogota making me miss it! Tonight was the big set-up -- I think it went well, probably because I had no hand in organizing it. I was just the convenient third wheel. I did get a delicious vegetarian meal and plenty of wine in the bargain though. Luscious tomatoes stuffed with brown rice, roasted eggplant and red peppers, basil, and asparagus. Not as good as Slim's stuff, but not half bad! And spicy...mmm. The luncheon Tom and Porter made Sunday was even spicier -- just what I have been missing here, just when it's time to go!

Also today we found out Trish is not leaving, not yet anyway. Her visa for the union job got postponed until next year. So now it's just me leaving. Better for Eli, so I'm happy, but it feels strange leaving everyone behind. Ah well, PorTom are still going home, so I'm not really the only one.

Last night I didn't have time to give my presentation on Community Justice in the Peace Communities, thankfully because as it turned out I hadn't the slightest what the presentation was supposed to cover. The professor, an expert in the field, sent me a very diplomatic email "suggesting" I make some changes, such as for starters hitting "delete" and starting over. Sigh. And today I spent the better part of the day translating the first Mauricio's letters of recommendation, which he wrote himself, for phd programs in political science in the states. The funny thing is, his research is on a topic I truly find interesting and important for the Andean region -- constitutional law and institutions. Things have been changing here -- Colombia has become the rightist exception to the leftist tilt. Although now with Uribe's senators being charged with paramilitary ties (to put it mildly: they may have participated in planning massacres), who knows what will happen?

That sums it up for tonight. I'm feeling agobiada (overwhelmed, my word for the day), exhausted, achy from a cold that wants to make its home, and exhilarated by the warmth of this freezing city, barely lukewarm showers and all. Tonight there was a conversation at least 10 minutes long devoted purely to the topic of gas water heaters, and who had them. One thing, at least, I won't miss.

No comments: