Wednesday, September 27, 2006

change

"The moment you come to trust chaos, you see God clearly. Chaos is
divine order, versus human order. Change is divine order, versus human
order. When the chaos becomes safety to you, then you know you're
seeing God clearly."

—Caroline Myss, *Spiritual Madness: The Necessity of Meeting God in
Darkness*

I've been thinking about change lately, how we all change all the time, but often nothing seems to change for eons and eons (in our tiny brains). I decided I'm change-oriented: I focus on changing/improving myself, helping people around to make changes, changing the things I see wrong with society.

But Slim is helping me understand that it's also important to accept -- change, or lack of change, or just what's around us -- without growing complacent. That's the paradox: I had to learn to accept things the way they are in order to get better at making change. And now I'm learning to make change in a literal sense (cents...argh!) tending bar at el espacio (if it doesn't get shut down for good).

My latest favorite song: "I can change" by John Legend (with Snoop).

What's your orientation? Change, acceptance, something else?

No comments: